Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gentrification

"Beautify Northampton." What an idea. That statement is giving me a lot of ideas for the piece I am writing for our street show. What we have to understand is that gentrification is, in a sense, ethnic cleansing. Despite how frightened people are of that phrase, it doesn't just occur with machine guns out in the big scary world, it occurs right here, in our communities. Northampton is already gentrified, the BID is merely seeking to exponentially speed up the process, as well as clear out unsightly young folks. As a poor disabled brown artist, I know I am not a part of Northampton's new beauty routine. 

I remember when I went for a financial aid meeting at Pratt Institute after I was accepted into the undergraduate photography program. The assistant director of admissions, Mike Barry, was commenting on what a "nice area" this neighborhood of Brooklyn is now. "Do you feel any accountability about that? Gentrification isn't like a little blessing from God," I may have said. "Nah," Mike responded, "you know how the city works, it's a natural ebb and flow." Yes, yes, the ebb of property taxes and values with the specific intention of cleaning up an area and making it a safe place for college students and young white families, and the flow of poor brown folks to the margins. Do to this comment that he made and the fact that he tried to get me to sleep with him for the remainder of the aid that I needed, I did not attend Pratt. 

Number One: Poverty is not a crime. Number Two: Pushing poor, desperate people out of an area does not actually reduce crime, it masks it. 

The controversy surrounding Hampshire's divestment from the illegal occupation of Palestine has taught me that you cannot allow the administration of your institution to represent you. I am so proud of the Smith students attempting to hold Carol Christ accountable.

Love and Honey and Power to Us ALL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment